An Ocean of Knowledge for our Sea of Islands
SPC through its Pacific Community Centre for Ocean Science (PCCOS) is convening Pacific stakeholders to the 1st Pacific Islands Conference on Ocean Science and Ocean Management to be held in Nadi, Fiji, from 11 – 15 September 2023.
The Pacific Islands Conference on Ocean Science and Ocean Management (PICOSOM) is aiming to bring together Pacific Ocean Managers with Ocean Scientists, traditional knowledge holders and Early Career Ocean Professionals (ECOPs) to discuss ocean science and ocean management priorities, trends and novelties. The PICOSOM is part of the Ocean Decade implementation in the Pacific.
The work to be carried out will include:
- Identify, discuss and prioritise ocean science and management priorities in the Pacific with all relevant country stakeholders and partners.
- Provide a platform for Pacific scientists to showcase their work and prioritise key scientific focuses and scientific questions.
- Take stock of the current situation of integrated ocean management in Pacific Island Countries and Territories and develop a shared understanding and way forward.
- Share on practical implications and example of integrating traditional knowledge to science project and ocean management.
- Discuss the implementation of the Ocean Decade in the Pacific and what it should look like
To learn more about the event, please visit this page.